Machine Learning Engineer
We believe that video is the most powerful tool for storytelling, but not everyone has the skills to produce videos, and so we built the world’s smartest video creator using A.I. to solve this problem.
We launched Lumen5 in early 2017 and the platform rapidly grew to service over 200,000 users within two years. Our customers include many notable brands such as Forbes, Greenpeace, Economist, LinkedIn, and hundreds more. Our company is fully bootstrapped and through the hard work of our all-star team, we grew to become a multimillion dollar success without any investor funding.
Recently, Lumen5 won the Fundica Roadshow and was recognized for being one of the fastest growing startups across all of Canada. We now have our sights set on growing our users into the millions and we’re looking for like-minded individuals to join us in elevating Lumen5 to the next level.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We’re working on some very interesting technical challenges using video, NLP, and machine learning, which means we’re hiring the brightest developers.
We’re looking for a machine learning engineer with a breadth of experience, seeking a new challenge - someone who’s not afraid to think big and propose radical changes, nor of sailing the gradient sea in search of new hyperparameters.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Design, iterate and deploy models for search ranking, query understanding, click-through rate prediction, etc.
- Brainstorm new approaches to providing better recommendations to users (media, storyboard, and scene-composition recommendations) by leveraging our internal dataset
- Work as part of a small, high-velocity team - break down information silos and switch hats if necessary
- Write high-quality, maintainable, and scalable code
- Collaborate with other developers and designers to take features all the way from ideas to something thousands of people use daily
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of professional experience
- Proven success taking ML models from drawing board to production
- Experience working with modern ML frameworks such as Tensorflow or PyTorch
- Experience with supervised and unsupervised ML for regression, classification, and clustering
- Familiarity with search ranking and information retrieval
- Familiarity with topic modeling and natural language processing
- Familiarity with collaborative filtering and recommender systems
- Ability to communicate ideas concisely and engagingly to technical and non-technical audiences
- Python, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Recommendation Systems, TensorFlow, NLP, PyTorch
WHY WORK AT LUMEN5?
- Impact — You get to work on a product that reaches millions of people around the world. Millions of videos are created with Lumen5 and they’re shared to reach millions more.
- Challenge — Much of our work is in uncharted territories. We’re using A.I. to assist with human creativity which makes for a plethora of fascinating technical challenges.
- Growth — Being part of a fast growing startup means that you can take advantage of a constant stream of new and exciting opportunities for career advancements.
- Influence — Since we’re a small team, you’ll be extremely influential. Your opinions will always be heard and your work can make a significant difference within the company.
- Learning — Our team is comprised of experts in cutting-edge fields, so you get to work with and learn from industry leaders in business, product, and engineering (AI, NLP, WebGL).
- Culture — As part of a small team, you’ll get to know everyone personally. It’s the relationships and bonds we form that make our workdays interesting and meaningful.
- 💰 Competitive compensation and benefits
- 🏖 4 weeks paid vacation with unlimited sick days
- 🕓 Flexible work hours, work from home when you feel like it
- 🌡 Fully paid health and dental benefits
- 📍 Panoramic penthouse office right on top of Burrard Station
- ☕️ Office stocked with snacks, coffee, ping pong, board games, and more
- 📞 Phone bill and transit pass fully paid for
- 💻 Brand new laptop or desktop computer
- 🎶 Premium Spotify so you can jam to your work ad-free
- 👩🍳 Monthly lunches and fun activities (bowling, cooking classes, archery tag, etc)